Friday, March 27, 2015

Book Review: Rasmus and the Vagabond ~ Astrid Lindgren

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874865972/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0874865972&linkCode=as2&tag=thup5-20&linkId=MWM27VUUMJ3F5P2Q

Author, Astrid Lindgren, is well known for her Pippi Longstocking books; stories I loved to read and listen to as a child. It never occurred to me that there were other adventures and amiable characters she had written about. As I had never heard of this book, I was taken by surprise at how much I enjoyed it as an adult.

Rasmus, a 9-year-old attempting to leave the cold orphanage behind, discovers a way out. He ends up befriending a kind vagabond, Paradise Oscar, who takes him under his wing.  Their friendship is an odd sort but genuine nonetheless. Ms. Lindgren has a way of winding a story into your heart and I'm glad that Plough Publishing decided to revive this out-of-print book.

Rasmus and the Vagabond one of those books that sets your memory and heart back many years to an age of innocence in the simplicity of life and the carefree childhood of years gone by. Great humor, unexpected intrigue, adventure, mystery and friendship. It's a completely different story, but I place it alongside another favourite, Owls in the Family, by Farley Mowat. My children are next to either hear Rasmus and the Vagabond as a read-aloud or to read it themselves (based on their reading levels).

I received this book from Plough Publishing in exchange for my personal review.


No comments:

Post a Comment