Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Book Review: Easter Stories ~ Classic Tales for the Holy Week

http://www.plough.com/en/ebooks/e/easter-stories





With Easter quickly approaching, I opted to review Easter Stories ~ Classic Tales for the Holy Season.  Plough Publishing has complied this treasury of read-aloud stories for individuals or families to read together.  Included are both short stories and single chapters taken from longer books.  One of my favourite stories is a chapter taken from Lew Wallace's Ben-Hur.  I do believe it is time to read that book which has been sitting unread on my bookshelf far too long.

Some of the authors included are: C.S. Lewis, Leo Tolstoy, Oscar Wilde, Ruth Sawyer, Elizabeth Goudge....among many others.



Easter is so far beyond eggs and bunnies that have inundated stores.  While I expected there to be more spiritual content to this book, there is a vast mixture of allegories, fact-based fictional works and stories created around the Biblical life of Christ.  As a parent, I feel there is still a need to pre-read stories before simply sitting down to read them aloud to our children; true with this book as well.  It was an enjoyable book and some stories made more of an impact than others.

I truly hope you will read aloud the Biblical account of the Easter story.  Trace God's promises back to the beginning of time and how He promised Adam redemption through the coming Saviour.  May God bless you this Easter as you seek His face.  He has promised that if you seek Him you will find Him.  Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment