Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: Then Sings My Soul Book 3 ~ Robert J. Morgan

I have often wondered where to find a book that tells the story behind the cherished songs we know so well.  From time to time, I've heard tidbits of stories about Franny Crosby, Horatio Spafford, and other well known hymn writers.  When asked to review Then Sings My Soul (Book 3), I jumped at the opportunity.

Robert Morgan has done a wonderful job of compiling the history, stories of, and reasons for continuing with hymns in modern worship.  While I was only seeking a book of "stories", this offers much more.

Prior to reading this book, I had never really thought about the age of some of the songs we sing.  The first part of this book discusses hymnody in context of Biblical, Ancient, Medieval, German, English, and Gospel/Contemporary Praise music.  It's quite the interesting and informative read.

Most of the history surrounding each hymn is brief (a page long), detailing the song's authorship, area/time written in, and circumstances surrounding said author's life.  Each hymn is included (with sheet music).  As an added touch, the book itself is constructed so as to resemble old hymnal pages; very nostalgic.

I look forward to reading Books 1 and 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment