Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Book Review: Unveiling the Kings of Israel ~ David Down

I have always been fascinated with archaeology.  When I saw David Down's books, Unveiling the Kings of Israel and Unwrapping the Pharaohs, I knew they were two book I just had to read.  In fact, I had signed up to review this particular book, but ended up purchasing it before the free copy arrived.  Since I enjoyed it so much, I'm grateful to now have one for our library and another to give as my Dad's Christmas gift; he'll love it!

I'm not an archaeologist; just someone who loves to read about it and look at pictures.  Of course, I'd love to visit those intriguing dig sites, but that remains to be decided at some future date.  Based on Biblical dates, this book leads you from the flood through Jesus Christ; God's renewed promise to Abraham to the Ultimate King, Jesus.  It adds historical elements of culture and geography to the what we read in the Bible.

While, I don't have firsthand knowledge of archaeological "pre-set" dates, Mr. Down presents a clear argument for Biblical accuracy in dates.  Apparently, commonly accepted dates for different eras in ancient history have been based on shaky Egyptian chronology.  This timeline needs to be reduced by centuries for an accurate history based on Biblical dates and ongoing archaeological discoveries.  The next book on my agenda to read is Unwrapping the Pharaohs, in which David Downs is sure to expand on this information.  I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment