Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Book Review: My God and My All ~ by Elizabeth Goudge






Plough Publishing and Elizabeth Goudge have joined forces to publish this book about the life of Saint Francis of Assisi. Since we have two children currently taking a fabulous Veritas Press self-paced history course, "Middle Ages, Renaissance and Reformation", I opted to read/review this book. I really didn't know much about Saint Francis of Assisi, but hearing different historical figures come up in their lessons, this was a good way to read more about who he was and what his life choices were.

While there are different aspects of this book I could review, I'll focus briefly on two. The author's style is more of a story format with dialogue and settings/situations that may or may not be accurate. I'm not sure if these were actually recorded somewhere as fact or if the author has taken liberties to add-to his biography to make it more readable as a story. In addition, not that I am the grammar police by any means, but... There are numerous areas where commas or semi-colons are missing in sentences, leaving the reader to re-read for clarity or make the assumption that it's chopping writing.

As a whole, I did my best to read this book, but with differing views, I would be better able to provide a critique versus a referral for others to read this book. There is a lot of repetition and it is written from a Catholic perspective. It was good to glean a better understanding of who Saint Francis was and learn more about the beliefs Catholicism holds, but it also hurt my heart to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment